Thursday, September 30, 2010

Another Victory for Evolution


There's been a great deal of speculation recently about the proper type of footwear one should use for running. The concept, less is more, has gained some popularity from the introduction of the Vibram Five Finger shoes and the publication of Born to Run, a book about a tribe of indigenous Mexicans that run nearly unfathomable distances. Given the fact that, over the course of evolution, humans did not have a pair of Nikes to train in, I'm apt to believe that our are feet are much happier when not subject to the motion stability ideas and marketing gimmicks of giant corporations. Besides, its just way more fun to run when one's feet are scantily shod.

I put these ideas to the test while running the Equinox Ultramarathon in Fairbanks. The equinox is a 31 mile race on trail, paved and unpaved roads, and goes up a dome, which is Alaskan for large hill. I had been training all summer in the five finger shoes (think of a glove for your feet with a thin rubber sole) which meant my feet were strong. (Yes, that's right, your feet are weak from wearing shoes, and it takes a long time to strengthen your atrophied muscles, tendons, and ligaments.) I had been thinking about wearing the huarache sandals seen in the picture, but for various reason mostly related to procrastination, I had never run actually run in huarache sandals before race day. Regardless, it still seemed like a good idea, at the time.

I had a moment of doubt when I toed the starting line (literally) and realized my feet were quickly going numb as I stood in the frost covered grass. But after the ROTC folks fired a huge cannon in a ironically militant type start, my doubts disappeared and the pure pleasure of running immediately took hold. The best part about running in minimal footwear is the connection and feedback you get from the ground. The first thing you realize is how much information your feet are sending up to your brain. Your feet feel all aspects of the terrain and your body adapts accordingly, automatically. The stride becomes shorter and faster. The feet are light and nimble. The sensation of floating over the ground sets in and is as good a reason as any to keep running.

By mile 5 I had set into a comfy pace and was enjoying chatting with folks who were curious about the sandals. It wasn't my intention to be ostentatious, but to inspire people to give up conventional footwear and all the aches, pains, and injuries associated with it.

The race progressed and for the most part my feet and sandals were holding up well. I did have to stop several times to retie the sandals as the leather would stretch out, but I had grown accustomed to the flopping sound, and my toes had warmed up. I was starting to develop some blisters but nothing that would stop me from finishing. Then, mile 26 showed up and the wheels came off. I had been running all summer in my five finger shoes, but never longer than 3 hours. I was now well over four hours into the race and my feet were strongly reminding me that they hadn't been properly prepared for this. Luckily, the last five miles were on soft, forest trails. I shifted gears down to a trot and tried to keep a smile on my face as I headed for the finish.

I eeked across the finish line, happier than ever. The race hadn't been about speed, it had been about principle. My feet felt exhausted and were by far the sorest part of my legs. Which, is a great sign! To run 31 miles and not have your quads or hamstrings be tired is an amazing feeling. Remember those times after a long run,when you had that burning feeling in your quads? The feeling that causes you to look at a 6" curb with utter dismay and wonder how you will possibly negotiate such an obstacle. Because, the stride is so much more efficient in huarache sandals, less strain and impact is transferred up the legs resulting in less fatigue. I just need to get my feet a little stronger...which means less time in boots and shoes and more time barefoot.

There was a combo awards banquet potluck that evening which gave the race a very grass roots, small town feel. As I was stacking piles of food on my plate multiple people asked me how my feet were feeling and wanted to learn more about the concept. Being able to advocate for 65 million years of primate evolution is one of the most organic sensations I've ever had. What better way to connect with the human species, past and present, than to help illuminate the wonders of your own two feet.

1 comment:

  1. That was beautiful writing! Would have loved a little more description of the race though!

    ReplyDelete